This is a Murphy console radio from circa 1948.shown from start to finish.

As you can see,its in a bit of a state! I have a lot of work ahead of me with this one. Looking at the state of the radio it looks like its been stood derelict for a long time.

Its important at this stage to give the chassis a good visual going over. Pay particular attention to the wiring inside. There are usually four screws holding the chassis in place,undo these and get the chassis out on the bench.



The chassis on this radio does not look in bad condition at all which was a pleasant suprise for me.

As you can probably see,the wiring going to the field coil assembly is crumbling and in a dangerous condition,as was the mains lead.



Here we see the bare cabinet,minus the speaker and chassis. The speaker cloth is going to have to be replaced as well. Use a good paint stripper here such as nitromors to get the old varnish off the cabinet. Its best to use a coarse grade steel wool at first followed by a finer grade later. JUST A WORD OF WARNING REGARDING NITROMORS,ALWAYS USE IT OUTSIDE..THE FUMES CAN CAUSE HEADACHES AND NAUSEA..ALSO WEAR GLOVES AS NITROMORS CAN BURN INTO YOUR SKIN CAUSING RASHES AND CONSIDERABLE DISCOMFORT. ALWAYS WEAR GOGGLES TOO. YOUR EYES ARE VALUBLE.



Unfortunatly the speaker was unrepairable because it had a massive hole in it and the cone suspension near the magnet had rotted away. The field coil though was perfectly ok. I decided in the end to screw the field coil to the cabinet and use a modern 10" 4 ohm speaker instead.



As you can see,all the insulation to the field coil has crumbled off the wiring. This is very common on older sets and affects the chassis wiring and mains lead as well.



Here we see the chassis in a ready to restore condition,notice the waxy capacitors dotted around the chassis,these will all need replacing. A few of the wires underneath were crumbly too.



Here we see the speaker cloth replaced,it needs stretching a bit still. Notice as well that there are a few chunks out of corners of the cabinet. Its best to fill these and try to colour the filler with the nearest available matching colour dye.



The wiring going to the field coil has now been replaced and is safe. A brand new 4 ohm 10" speaker is now being used in place of the badly damaged original speaker. Most sets used 3 ohm speakers and a 4 ohm speaker will present a bit of a mismatch to the sound output transformer,but not too drastic. It will also unfortunatly lessen the volume a bit too,but you can now possibly understand why i did not employ an 8 ohm speaker,as this would cause considerable distortion and lessen the volume considerably.



The chassis has now been restored,the if's aligned and the drive cord pulleys lightly oiled. I have also cleaned the dial. JUST A WORD OF WARNING HERE.DONT CLEAN DIALS WITH SWITCH CLEANER OR FOAM CLEANSER....THESE ARE TOO POWERFUL AND WILL POSSIBLY STRIP ALL THE WRITING OFF THE DIAL RENDERING IT USELESS.
IF THE DIAL IS FLAKING....LEAVE WELL ALONE. IF IT IS SOUND USE PLAIN WATER ON A COTTON WOOL BUD AND GENTLY AND CAUTIOUSLY CLEAN AROUND THE BITS YOU CAN SEE WHEN THE DIAL BULB SHOWS THROUGH.IF YOURE NOT SURE JUST BREATHE ON THE DIAL AND WIPE OFF WITH A LINT FREE CLOTH.



The finished product. Now works perfectly and has a good home.